Practical Informations


Coming to Nantes

Living and Studying in France

Living in France : Campusfrance and Egide
Studying in France : Campusfrance and Egide

The City of Nantes

Nantes Atlantic Tourist Office and Nantes website
Nantes is the 6th largest town in France, only 2 hours from Paris by high-speed train and 50 kilometers from the Atlantic coast. With a population of more than 250 000, Nantes is the economic and cultural capital of the west of France. It has been Ranked Number 1 in Europe for quality of life by TIME Magazine. Read more

Student live in Centrale Nantes

For specific informations about Centrale Nantes

French Embassies and visa

French embassies and Consulates (in French).


Euroguidance : European network of National Resource Centres for Vocational Guidance, supported by the European commission (within the Leonardo da Vinci Programme)


Who need a visa ?

If you are a national of a country member of the European Union or EEE (UE + Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein), or if you come from Switzerland, Monaco or Andorra you do not need to obtain a long-term visa marked student. You may check the conditions at your relevant embassy here.

French Embassies and visa

French embassies and Consulates (in French)

Where do you get your visa?

If you do not live in your native country, you may apply from your residence country if you have a residence permit. If you do not have a residence permit from your residence country or if you live in your native country, you must apply from your native country.

Please note that:

  • you must not under any circumstances travel to France on a tourist visa.
  • you can apply for the visa of the country of the second year from the country in which you will spend your first year after getting your residence permit there.

How do you get your visa?

First of all, make sure you hold a passport (or ID card if you are a European citizen) valid for the duration of your studies in Europe.
To get your visa, you may apply at the relevant embassy or consular services in your home country or in your residence country if you have a resident permit there. Documents and papers asked for your visa (as well as fees) depend on your native country, thus you should contact your relevant embassy in order to know the specific conditions to obtain your visa. The lists below are given just for information and may change according to the specific conditions applied by the consulate you will address.

Embassies or consulates usually require:

  • 2 or more visa application form
  • 1 or more passport-type photos
  • a passport valid for at least 3 or 4 months beyond the date of return from France
  • letter of admission from the welcoming university
  • financial guarantees
  • proofs of appropriate lodgings in the European country

But you may also be asked:

  • health insurance guarantees
  • plane ticket
  • proofs of any academic credits gained before
  • medical certificate
  • certificate of good conduct delivered by the police department of the cities in which the applicant has spent 6 months during the last 5 years.
  • etc...

Health Insurance

Social security

Health insurance covering reimbursement of medical expenses is mandatory in order to obtain a residence permit. Students from the European Economic Area and Québec are exempt from this requirement ; they must produce the E111 form (SE401Q102 Bis form for Québecois) supplied by the health insurance authority of their country. Other students may benefit from the students’ health-insurance scheme (already included under registration fee : around 190 Euros) if they have less than 28 years old or otherwise they would have to subscribe to the universal health-insurance coverage scheme (couverture maladie universelle, CMU). More about the French social security:


A complementary health insurance is not compulsory but strongly recommended. This is a student insurance program costing from 125 to 250 Euros per year depending on the coverage offered (including civil liability and accident).


Your are free to choose your doctor. You will find all addresses on the telephone directory “Pages-Jaunes” Facilities for students with special needs Please contact the international service to prepare your welcome.